[stella] Emulating on a C64 or Amiga

Subject: [stella] Emulating on a C64 or Amiga
From: jimn8@xxxxxxxxxx (Jim Nitchals)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

> I've been trying to figure out whether
> I could make a 2600 emulator for my
> 64 - mind you, this isn't a stock 64.
> It's got a board called a SuperCPU,
> a 20Mhz 65816 that emulates a 6502

A 6502/816 doing single-step by placing instructions into a temporary
holding area then executing them can run at about 7% of real-time.  If
doing address computation, masking of the 2600's high order address
bits, etc you'd be lucky to get to 2% of realtime (times 20 for your
fast '816, for a total of 40% of the speed of a real 2600.)

I wrote a 6502-based package for doing fast code "emulation" for the
purpose of debugging games while working at Electronic Arts.  It was
too slow to bother with for any but the *worst, intractable* bugs.

> I've heard that there is C source
> available for a 2600 emulator -
> I haven't located it yet.

And that was presuming hand-tuned assembly language.  Go to C, not the
best language for the '816 (stack addressing modes are *SLOW*) and you're
looking at a worthlessly slow solution.

The slowest 68K based machine to be *theoretically* good enough to run
2600 emulation would be around a 25 MHz '030, based on my experience on
Stop The Madness (an Apple II emulator with hand-tuned 680x0 assembly
everywhere, rewritten several times and tweaked *to death.*)

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/