Re: [stella] Would it be possible...

Subject: Re: [stella] Would it be possible...
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:47:53 -0700 (MST)
>Dunno what else would be there besides closed-captioning.  Possibly the
>VCR-Plus (whatever it's called) numbers that are supposed to let your VCR
>find and tape any progam using just that number... the numbers are
>supposed
>to work across different cable companies where different stations are on
>different channels, so it can't be a simple formula indicating time and
>channel -

My guess is that VCR-Plus is, in fact, a formula, but it might take some
encoding to get the channel information right.  But not as much as I've
seen.  Play with the vertical hold a little and see what you find in your
system.

>there's gotta be something broadcast.  Dunno what else could be in there,
>though...
>GPS signals?  Stock updates?

Video text, perhaps.

>I doubt we're going to be able to reverse-engineer closed captioning from
>simply experimenting =)  The info is obviously available to TV
>manufacturers

I've heard of stranger things being reverse-engineered.  Good luck in
hunting for these standards; I hope it's available on the Internet.

>Would be neat.. is it violation of the classic-game spirit to use
>improved
>graphics capability in the TV?  (hmm... wonder if a 2600 could somehow
>force a picture-in-picture thingy and transmit different stuff on
>channels
>2 and 3... :) )

Perhaps now would be a good time to mention that it's probably possible
to drive Sega 3-D glasses with the 2600 by using an adapter hooked up to
the second joystick port.