Re: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: emooney1@xxxxxxxx (Erik K Mooney)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:03:42 -0400
My mail program had this tagged as replied-to, but I don't see a reply in
my "sent"
folder... I've had a couple crashes this week and haven't seen any
replies to any
reply I may have written, so here's another go at it.

[quotes are from Glenn]
>Are you telling me that the guy who originally wanted to write that
>Banked
>ROM RPG game has now put out the call on stellalist?  That would be
>interesting.

This is independent from the other guy... I've got a kernel somewhat
working, no
storyboards / world design or anything like that yet.

>If the guy was just talking about a text-only RPG then I'm not really
>that
>interested.  Writing a text-only RPG for a system that huffs and puffs
>display oversized characters seems like a loser's gamble.
>
>If he was talking about something a bit more graphical, tiled or
>scrolling, like Dragonstomper perhaps, then I'm more interested in the
>outcome.  I have AD&D experience and could assist in game design if
>necessary.

Something more graphical... think Legend of Zelda overhead-view broken-
into-screens graphics, with separate-screen turn-based battles a la NES
Ultima, Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.  Think Adventure playfields with

sprites used as background graphics as well, and a more detailed player
character.  I'd love some game design assistance.. once I get the
player's
movements into the kernel and working, I'll see what's up with world
design.

I haven't seen Dragonstomper, though...can someone describe it for me?

>As far as what is possible on the 2600, there are many options
>available
>with the Supercharger and a random access medium like CDs or
>doubleclicking on BINs for multiloads.

Well, I don't like the delay that'd be inherent in Supercharger loads..
I'd
have to load every few screens at best, and always at points like
entering
and exiting battles.  Plus, you need extra hardware for it (CD player or
PC),
not just a plug-and-go like other 2600 games.

>And of course, by using random access mass storage, you realistically
>have
>99 tracks available for CD (more if you use a CD changer), or an
>infinite
>number available if you load off a PC/MAC/Amiga.

I can fit a decent sized world into 16k, with lots of repetition of
stuff, but
I think the repetition will blend into the background enough so it's not
obnoxious.  Possibly, I can use Chris Wilkson's 128k mega-cart design,
which would also have 16k battery-backed RAM... problem there is that
I don't have an EPROM burner, eraser, or a cart.