R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:08:43 +0200
> Da: Erik K Mooney <emooney1@xxxxxxxx>
> A: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Oggetto: Re: [stella] New project - RPG engine

> I haven't seen Dragonstomper, though...can someone describe it for me?

You must absolutely play it before starting an RPG project on the 2600. Not
forgetting that it has a very nice way of handling some lines of text.
If you don't have the Stella CD and you can't find a tape, then maybe Glenn
could be so kind to "lend" you the binary... :)

> Possibly, I can use Chris Wilkson's 128k mega-cart design,
> which would also have 16k battery-backed RAM... problem there is that
> I don't have an EPROM burner, eraser, or a cart.

Before doing such a choice, you should be certain that it is possible to
have a given number of these carts manufactured at a decent price.

After all, we aren't doing these games just for the hell of it, but
especially for the rest of the "survived" population of the Atari 2600
lovers.

So it is important that they can have access to these games.
For 2K/4K games there's no problem: you can have the carts done like Bob
Colbert did, or you can put the binary on the net so that people can burn
eproms, download to the Supercharger or play on emulators; they could even
be included in multi-carts.

Supercharger-only games wouldn't really be for all, as not everybody has a
Supercharger, but it's always a good way to reach the 2600 enthusiasts. And
they run on emulators.

I had proposed the idea of a multi-4k game with parts linked by an access
code, have you thought about it?

Ciao,
 P.