Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: emooney1@xxxxxxxx (Erik K Mooney)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:08:07 -0400
>You must absolutely play it before starting an RPG project on the
>2600. Not
>forgetting that it has a very nice way of handling some lines of text.
>If you don't have the Stella CD and you can't find a tape, then maybe
>Glenn
>could be so kind to "lend" you the binary... :)

Could I, Glenn? Please? =)

>> Possibly, I can use Chris Wilkson's 128k mega-cart design,
>> which would also have 16k battery-backed RAM... problem there is
>that
>> I don't have an EPROM burner, eraser, or a cart.
>
>Before doing such a choice, you should be certain that it is possible
>have a given number of these carts manufactured at a decent price.
>
>After all, we aren't doing these games just for the hell of it, but
>especially for the rest of the "survived" population of the Atari 2600
>lovers.
>
>So it is important that they can have access to these games.
>For 2K/4K games there's no problem: you can have the carts done like
>Bob
>Colbert did, or you can put the binary on the net so that people can
>burn
>eproms, download to the Supercharger or play on emulators; they could
>even
>be included in multi-carts.
>
>Supercharger-only games wouldn't really be for all, as not everybody
>has a
>Supercharger, but it's always a good way to reach the 2600
>enthusiasts. And
>they run on emulators.

I really don't want to use the Supercharger if avoidable, because it does
limit the target audience, and I also don't like waiting for loads like
it'd
have to do.  I'll use Chris Wilkson's mega-cart if both testing and
manufacturing
prove possible.. otherwise, I'll probably use a 16k bankswitched design,
which would work on the emulators.  If I release a 16k game, I may reuse
the kernel in a sequel with a larger ROM format later on.

>I had proposed the idea of a multi-4k game with parts linked by an
>access
>code, have you thought about it?

I think I missed that message.. can you run it by me again?