Re: R: [stella] ethics

Subject: Re: R: [stella] ethics
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:42:27 +0100
At 11:02 -0400 15-09-1997, crackers@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>In article <199709131641.SAA19249@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>
>>Sincerely, I like what Bob Colbert has done with Okie Dokie.
>>It's free, and the .bin is easily available, but there have been also carts
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
>
>I think they release of Okie Dokie was a work of art. It's definetly the way
>I'll be releasing my original games.
>
>A .BIN file on my webpage so anyone can get it for free. And then a
>limited release special edition colour label autographed release
>to reward the first 100 collectors for supporting me. Then a regular
>cartridge release so it's still available to everyone on cartridge
>form.

The production of carts from old systems could have much in common with the
small scale editions of vinyl 7" records from "indipendent" artists. The 7"
single has been abandoned for mass production, but there are small record
companies that still produce lovingly packaged, colored, signed, limited
edition (usually 500-2000 copies) records for collectors or simple lovers
of music on vinyl.
Get a copy of the UK magazine "Record Collector" to understand what I mean,
there's a regular 2 pages feature on new releases of this kind.

I think that the same concepts could be applied to carts (and in part this
has been done by Bob): make the first copies different from the others,
have a booklet printed in colors, include a sticker (!)... these things can
make the collectors go off their nuts!!! :-)