Re: [stella] Supercharger questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger questions
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 16:52:14 +0100
>The Supercharger docs I've been reading tells me that one doesn't need to
>load all 6KB at load time.  Also, the header specifies where the data it
>loaded, so does this mean that one can setup a multiload game to load just
>one or two banks at a time, without destroying the contents of the other(s)?

The Supercharger RAM is divided into 24 pages, which are all 256 bytes large.
When transfering data to the SC each bank is preceded by the page number
and a checksum for that page, therefore the smallest chunk of data, that
can be loaded, is one 256 byte page. One of the pages gets destroyed, when
the 'press play' message is displayed, but the rest of the data remains
unchanged.

>Also, with the existing multiload games, how much "game" does one get for
>any particular load? - i.e. how long does the gameplay last before you need
>to load the next bit?  What do people consider the thresholds for such
>aspects?  Obviously needing to load the next level after three minutes of
>play would be irritating, so how long should it be?

The SC loads very fast, like 1 second for the header tone and 1 second
for each kb to load. When all loads are stored sequentially, there shouldn't
be much of a problem.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg