Re: [stella] Who we are

Subject: Re: [stella] Who we are
From: Teknovore <tek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 06:20:49 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Greg Troutman wrote:

> Actually, I was reading a book recently, and it occurred to me that the
> 2600 could be used for the emulation of another machine, which is
> probably the ultimate insanity.  The machine was called
> SADSAC--Simplified version of A Decimal Single Address Computer (big
> grin) and was created to demonstrate all the basic functions of a
> computer.  It has one 13 bit accumulator, one 8 bit program counter and
> 20 or so op codes.  For ultra simplicity in instructing newbies, it is a
> decimal computer, so the 8 bit program counter, organized in BCD, only
> allows an address space of 100 bytes.  Every instruction consists of
> three signed BCD digits: one op code (-9 to +9) and one memory address
> (00 to 99).  In the book, they translated several Fortran programs to it
> to demonstrate generic machine language organization...  The 2600 could
> probably do this, complete with a joystick driven command prompt,
> machine language oriented line editor, a compiler, and everything ;)

Bwahahaha. Now that would be neat to write! It's definately the
ultimate insanity. Hmm. I can imagine the pain of a joystick driven
command prompt, though. Heh, it would be neat to try and write games
for the emulated machine, so you'd have a game console within a game
console. ;-)

 "Nothing is to be feared but to be understood."  / Julian Squires  /
 "A fool and his data are soon parted- encrypt"  /  Teknovore      /
 "You can run but you'll only die tired!"       /   tek@xxxxxxx   /