[stella] ug

Subject: [stella] ug
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 21:16:47 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Chris Cracknell wrote:
> You're not that famous Glenn. Besides, I pointed out to you a number of ways
> you could distribute your CDs and remain quite annonymous.

Sorry, no thanks.

> The making a buck is mearly the icing on the cake. To me the greater glory
> of people making bootleg CD-Rs of discontinuted games or multicarts is
> that they are making information available to the general public.

You are just repeating yourself and so will I.  Agree to disagree and end
the thread.

> That's fine and well. If it's a matter of not having the time to engage
> in such hobies then don't. Just don't get all pumped up with self
> rightiousness over it (especially since you yourself possess bootleg
> 2600 rom images).

Very few of the images I own are for carts I don't personally own.  Those
that I do have were acquired recently for the purpose of digitizing for
the documentary.  I brought my Supercharger to work and to avoid clutter I
load 4K images into it to digitize.

I much prefer to play on a real 2600 with real controllers, NTSC image
characteristics, et. al.  I don't have a PC at home to run the emulator so
the only reason to use pirated BINs would be for 4K carts I don't own.
Luckily, I own most of the 4K carts I'd want for my personal collection.
Those I don't own are easy to find (and I have bought a few from
auctions).  Most of the carts, however, that I would like to add to my
collection are 8K and above, so I really have to purchase them.

> And as I stated before Stella was even released. It is inevitable that
> bootleg CD-Rs of the project will be distributed. There is a demand for

If people are too impatient to sit and wait and see if there is an
official run, and bootleg the CD, then they will have created a
self-fulfilling prophecy.  What you are saying is that I am OBLIGATED to
make more CDs or others will, and if they beat me to the punch, so be it
because they were just meeting demand, which is the highest priority.

This is extremely selfish.

If the reissue doesn't happen, then I doubt there ever will be another
move to reissue, and then I wouldn't so much as promote piracy as not care
anymore.

> Piracy may not be the "proper" means to that noble end, however, it
> does appear to be the only reasonable means to that noble end.

That has yet to be determined, after Russ speaks with JTS-Atari and
Bridgestone.

> why the hell would I be ashamed to write code for the 2600?

Rick Maurer, who wrote Space Invaders, has a quip about how the fact that
he wrote a game that sold millions didn't seem to impress many people
during job interviews.  Even people in the modern programming field have
no appreciation for the work that goes into a 2600 game, which is a big
reason why I'm doing this documentary.