Re: [stella] Multiple missiles

Subject: Re: [stella] Multiple missiles
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:02:12 GMT
>> Thanks so much!  Didn't realize missiles could have multiple copies :)
>
>Aren't multiple missiles used in Combat as the bullets for the jets and
>the biplanes.

Yes.  The missile copies are controlled by the same NUSIZ settings as their
players, but the missile width is independent of the player width. (see
Air-Sea Battle where the player missiles are always the same width despite
passing through scanlines with different width players.)

BTW, Piero, this is why I used missile 1 for both players in INV instead of
drawing both player missiles - the shields are three copies of player 0 and
one copy of player 1, so when the first player's missile passed through the
shields' space, it'd display three copies.  I could have coded it to
display separate missiles and only flicker (use missile1 for both missiles)
when missile0 is within the shields, but that seemed more trouble than it
was worth.

>I don't think the ball can have multiple copies, however, but I think all
>the objects have the same width options, which is how the ball can be
>used to mask the HMOVE lines on Activision games even though it's just a
>1-bit object.

The ball cannot have multiple copies, but it can be 1, 2, 4, or 8 pixels
wide... I think CTRLPF controls this.  BTW, how can the ball mask the HMOVE
lines?  The ball is always the same color as the playfield (COLUPF).

This *is* how the side walls of Super Breakout are drawn - player1 on one
side, missile1 at 8 pixels wide on the other, ball for the ball, player0
for the paddles, flicker missile0 for the second and third balls if
necessary.