Re: [stella] variations on a theme

Subject: Re: [stella] variations on a theme
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:23:13 +0100
At 9:45 -0500 19-01-1998, Erik Mooney wrote:

>> I think that it would be better to convert the code to the standard format,
>> as this would allow other things like diagonal moving bombs.
>
>Can you do this, or do you want me to try?

I think it would be enough if you could post here some hints, especially
the parts of the code to be modified.

>> Couldn't the already existing destroy-the-shields routine be generalized for
>> use with bombs and player shots?
>It's easier to copy the routine and change a
>couple things than to try to shoehorn everything into one routine.

yep..

>> But Atari SI allows you to hit the invaders even when they're invisible.
>> This would be the difficult part.
>
>Don't the collision registers activate even when COLUPF is zero?  I'm
>pretty sure they do.  The collision-detection hardware only checks PFx,
>ENAMx, ENABL, and GRPxx, not the color registers.

Sure?! It would be great... a matter of a few bytes of code. To make things
work just like in Atari SI, the playfield (the invaders) should be turned
on for the duration of the missile explosion.

Ciao,
 P.