Re: [stella] variations on a theme

Subject: Re: [stella] variations on a theme
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:48:40 GMT
>>Too difficult, I think... especially when there's only one invader left
>>and you miss it three or four times befoire hitting it.
>
>I've already done that, I think it's great.. (if you don't get angry too
>soon... :-)

Well, as long as it's a game variation and not something that always
happens :)

>>That'd require changing the destroy-shields routine a little more than I'd
>>like... you can do it if you want, but it'd probably more effort than it's
>>worth.  You could have a game variation with no shields easily, though.
>
>Another thing to consider, is that currently the Invaders cannot destroy
>the shields. This should be fixed, but it doesn't look so easy...

Oh.  Right.  Damn.  The reason I didn't do that is because the X
coordinates of the bombs are stored in fine-coarse format, where you write
the high four bits to HMBL and use the low four in a DEY-BNE loop to
position the ball.  To make them able to destroy the shields, you'd need to
change that to store the X coordinates in standard format, and either use a
lookup table or the Hconvert routine to get the FC_X value for positioning
it.  If you can make that change, I'll figure out and do the
bombs-destroy-shields routine.

>>> BTW, don't ask for invisible invaders... I'd have too many things to change.
>>
>>The mere concept of even trying to make the kernel do that had me laughing
>>for about five minutes :)
>
>Don't you here a voice saying "nothing is impossible"...? :-)

About two minutes after I wrote that message I realized that simply setting
COLUPF to zero would work perfectly, except that you couldn't see the bombs
until they dropped below the last row of invaders.