Re: [stella] Official Atari St 2600/7800 Dev Kit.

Subject: Re: [stella] Official Atari St 2600/7800 Dev Kit.
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:50:49 -0800 (PST)
> > The real question is does the dev kit contain the encryption algorithm for
> > the 7800?  If it doesn't, then how does one go about actually testing
> > their code on the 7800 in 7800 mode?  Is one forced to replace the
> > internal rom in the 7800 or perhaps use a 7800 from europe?
>
> The ROM in the 7800 development kit has a valid encryption signature in
> it. Therefore when the 7800 boots it sees a valid encryption signature and
> starts running the code on the development board.  This code allows
> you to download game code into the on board RAM and then execute and
> debug the code.  So with this version of the development kit you can
> use just about any 7800 system.  It seems that there was an earlier
> version of the development kit which required you to modify the 7800
> system before using it.

Wow!  Anyone try to copy this yet?  I'm not sure I understand how this
works, but might it be possible?

Actually, how is the encryption done on a regular cart?  If we can pool
all the known data, we might be able to get it to work.  Personally, I
don't know anything...but I'm willing to spend time on work arounds once
I know how the scheme is set up.

-Chris