Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?

Subject: Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:57:20 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Ruffin and I think that this is at best a static screenshot, and probably
> > not a game in motion.  I'd be interested in hearing y'all's opinions on this,
> > especially if someone on the group is making this.  Let us hear about it!
>
> It would be believable if it were an Atari 8-bit port but there does seem
> to be some tell-tale signs that this is a fake.
>
> The meters on either end combined with the very wide but smooth laser
> graphics really seem to be using more sprite hardware per scanline than
> the 2600 can generate.

In counting up the stuff it seems possible.  No more than six distinct
objects (allowing for sprite doubling) seem to appear on any scanline.
Notice how the starfield is absent in the busiest (six object)
scanlines, indicating it is being used by one of the other objects in
that portion of the screen.  But I'm having a hard time imagining any
way to draw all that with any time to "think".  It might be "legit" in
the sense of being a 2600 image, but I'd guess it had to be a straight
static image where the contents of the graphics registers are being read
during the busy section straight out of ROM, without any conditionals
and/or indexed-indirect stuff happening... In that case Supercharger RAM
could make it a reality ;)

> If it employed flicker, maybe, but otherwise no.
> Also, the rainbowing in the meters seem to use colors outside of the
> 2600's palette but it's hard to tell for sure.
>
> I'm fairly certain that, like Doom, this image was created with an Atari
> 8-bit.

Though I can't pin down anything that couldn't be produced as a static
image on the 2600, you're probably right.

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/