Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?

Subject: Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:54:45 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Greg Troutman wrote:
> > In counting up the stuff it seems possible.  No more than six distinct
> > objects (allowing for sprite doubling) seem to appear on any scanline.
>
> Not just objects but the width of the objects.  Sprites have limited width
> in spanning the screen unless you play with the width registers in which
> case you lose resolution.  The laser display is very wide in its widest
> scanline.

Has to be playfield graphics.

> And even then there are only what, 4 seprate colors you can generate per
> scanline?  P0, P1, PF, and background.  I believe ball is set to the same
> color register as the playfield.  You may be able to get away with one
> playfield color register change in the middle of the screen if you are
> lucky but I doubt this is possible in as busy a kernel as this.

Again, if the kernel were doing nothing more than reading from ROM and
writing to registers, I think it's possible.  I'm assuming this is
straight non-branching, perhaps non-looping code, and not your typical
real-life game kernel.  Say you set up the graphics and color values in
a series of 100 byte lists and write a single loop to read/write through
a 100 line section of the screen.  Or you could even reproduce this one
scanline a hundred times, changing the absolute addresses to save the
cycles needed for indexing and looping...  The ROM is full, but heck you
drew the screen...

It's hard to imagine why anyone who really wrote such a game would be
providing only ONE screenshot ;)

> > Though I can't pin down anything that couldn't be produced as a static
> > image on the 2600,
>
> Would anyone like to attempt to clone this static display to show that
> it's possible?  It would be a good challenge...

Sure would.  Not me ;)

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/