[stella] The Big Sprite

Subject: [stella] The Big Sprite
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
I don't think this kind of thing has ever been done before.  Quite
impressive.  At first I thought this MK stuff was just a joke, and
certainly the game would normally be considered impossible in any form on
the 2600, but now I can see that it might actually be possible.  It's just
a shame that the BG on the scanlines with the big sprites has to be
completely black.  MK was known for its detailed backgrounds.  As for the
flicker, 30hz flicker is fine.  It's 15 and 7hz flicker that starts to
really look bad.

If you could free up the ball or the missiles you might be able to at
least sprinkle some pixels in there implying blood sprays ;)

Another approach to this game would be to use Suicide Mission stipple
bitmap graphics.  You won't get as solid an image, but you'd be able to do
a limited background at the same time.  Of course, if this mode is limited
to the SC, there may not be enough memory to hold the gfx necessary vs. a
hugely banked ROM...

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==