Re: Re: [stella] New members

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] New members
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:43:16 +0200
On Mon May  4 10:33:27 1998, Andrew Davie wrote:

>My name is Andrew Davie, and I'm an old-timer in the videogame area.  I've
>written well over a dozen titles over the years on various machines,
>including the NES, SNES, C64, Atari 400/800.  I know my cycle times by
>heart, and still remember half the bytecodes :)

It 'd be interesting to know which games you wrote for these systems,
and which of them were released, if any.
None of mine wern't, sorry.

>My skills are in making
>machines do what they're not supposed to do :)  My pride and joy was a
>split-screen independant 8-directional scrolling on the NES without any
>hardware support whatsoever.  It was supposed to be impossible :)

BTW, my C-64 Karaoke engine displays the lyrics using SPRITES!!!
(7 of them on each line of text, the 8th for the indication. I can
explain the process further, if somebody's interested.)
I know that many games display more than 8 sprites on the C-64 (such as
Atari's Dig Dug), but there's as well
many who don't (for instance, in Atari's Mario Bros on the C-64, they
flicker - which wouldn't have been necessary!).
And the assembler demo of "Stone Sling" has a Hi-Res picture, similar to
the Odyssey^3's one, but it's expanded below the border of the screen,
where the river is displayed with sprites. Also, the horizon is expanded
to the left and right using border-color changes. This way, you hardly
realize the fact that the C-64 screen HAS got a border.

Love, Kurt