Re: [stella] EPROM variations

Subject: Re: [stella] EPROM variations
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
> At 01:44 AM 6/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >Could someone give me a lecture on 2732 EPROM types?
> >
> >I have an unreleased 2600 game to read in (by lending out my EPROM
> >programmer to the author) and it is labelled:
> >
> >D2732A-2
>
> Generally, all chips labeled 2732 should be able to be read in as a standard
> 2732.  The difference lies in the way the chips are programmed.  Different
> flavors of 2732s use different programming voltages.  Usually, the number
> after the EPROM type is the speed of the EPROM.  The speed is indicated in
> milliseconds, and is different from microprocessor speed inasmuch as the
> EPROM doesn't DO anything, but the speed indicates how long it takes for
> the data to become stable once the address lines have been set.  It's just
> like memory speed.  With that said, I don't know what the 2 indicates :)
> The numbers are usually much bigger, in the 100 to 200 range I believe.

Slight correction...100 to 200 NANOseconds.  Still slow by other memory
standards, but fast enough at least to meet the 2600's bus speed which is
about 800ns per cycle. :)

I forget the exact difference, but I *think* a 2732A has a 12V programming
supply, vs. 21v or 25v on standard 2732 chips.  But as other here have
mentioned, for reading purposes, a 2732 is a 2732.  Just be sure the speed
is faster than whatever is trying to read it!

-Chris