[stella] Frying

Subject: [stella] Frying
From: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:24:23 -0400 (EDT)
Not that it has a whole lot to do with programming, but it is kind of
relevant...

Has anyone that owns one of the newer games on cartridge (Oystron, TPS,
Okie Dokie, to name a few) tried frying their 2600 to see if you get
any neat effects?  You could get some neat effects with some of the
old games by doing this; one I remember was the "fast walkers" in the
Empire Strikes Back from Parker Bros.  Also, it seems like Ruffin and
I were able to get the "ninja Pitfall Harry" one time with a Pitfall
cartridge, but maybe I'm imagining that.

Anyway, I wondered if the new games had any fairly easily repeatable
effects by frying them.

matt

PS.  For those that don't know what "frying" is, it means turning your
2600 on in such a way that it doesn't boot up quite right.  This is probably
a method reserved for the old style Atari 2600s, since the newer versions
had slightly different switches.  Good ones to try it on are the "woodgrain"
2600s and the "Darth Vader" 2600s.  Perhaps on a 2600Jr, as well, but probably
harder to do.