Re: [stella] A new version of an old assembler.

Subject: Re: [stella] A new version of an old assembler.
From: Teknovore <tek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:02:21 -0230
On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 03:54:26PM -0700, John Saeger wrote:
> Well I wanted to play around with the 6502's so-called undocumented
> instructions on the 2600, and none of the available assemblers support them.
> I didn't modify TASM because it's guiltware, they want money.  I did modify
> DASM, but a restrictive copyright prohibits my sharing my improvements.  I
> wanted something that was free to modify and free to share.  So I did some
> internet archaeology, and here's what I came up with.  An old assembler
> (as6502) written in C by J. H. Van Ornum at AT&T Bell Labs around 1984 or
> 1985.  I modified it to output a raw binary file which is suitable for Atari
> 2600 use, and I gave it the ability to assemble the undocumented
> instructions.  A file called undoc.asm is included in the archive describing
> the available instructions.

I commend your efforts. Adding undocumented instructions was one of
the things I wanted to do to improve our tools, among other things.
Strange, many emulators support the undocumented instructions (I wrote
them in for a 6502 emulation core I worked on) but few assemblers seem
to...

--
Teknovore - tek@xxxxxxx