[stella] The Game That Was, but Wasn't

Subject: [stella] The Game That Was, but Wasn't
From: kickass <kickass@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:23:21 -0400 (EDT)
The graphics data for all the player objects and bombs are at the bottom
of this file.

I also have IFF pictures (can be gif if neccessary,) of these objects in
action, showing a rough idea of what the backgrounds should look like, if
any gets serious and wants them.

The basic premise of the game is this: you have tank who wants to get out
of the field of fire and to safety. He is hindered by the helicopters OR
airplanes dropping bombs from overhead, as well as the sporadic draw
bridge. (Other hinderances appear later and/or in different game variations.)

The game is played with 1-2 joysticks or up to four paddles.

The idea is that there will be any conceivable combination of one to four
player modes.

(four human helicopters versus computer tanks, 2 on 2, 3 on 1, 1 on 1,
and so,) this mode of the game is a static screen, with copters (in four
player modes,) or airplanes (in 2 player or lower modes,) on the top of
the screen, a simple gradient mountain range in the middle, over which
all the bombs fall (up to four per scan line, claims my previous coder,)
and the tanks at the bottom, with ground, a drawbridge and water beneath.

(basic ascii version)
                                  _
\  HELICOPTER / JET AREA         /
|         /\                     |
|        /  \          /\        |
|Mountai/ns  \  n Bomb/s \  Area |
|      /      \______/    \      |
|     /                    ------|
| ___/                           |
|---------------------------=====|-
|_pointer_area___________________| \
|Water                           |  Drawbridge (drawn under tanks.

(The pointer area is for multiplayer tank games using the paddle, I'll
explain later,)

There is a one or two player scrolling mode, with boss encounters and
power ups (cooperative, or head to head) It goes on the same basic
principal of the static screen game, it just takes longer to reach the
drawbridges, and when you do the color scheme changes, and the falling
bombs increase in difficulty (faster, then eventually, more of them up to
the 4 per scan line max, and later, they angle.)

One of the basic variations is whether or not the tank can shoot. In many
variations, all you can do is dodge. In some, the tank can shoot, and in
others, it can shoot and control the turret level.

This is where the pointer comes in, with paddle controls. In order to
change the turret angle, you have to hold the paddle button down, then
the rotation controls the turret and not your tanks movement. Button
presses fire. Well, there is a pointer color-coordinated to your tank on
the line just beneath the ground. Wherever the pointer is, that is the
direction your tank will travel in. This solves the problems of the
paddle being absolute (as far as how the 2600 reads it,) This was done
because the coder I was working with said that using the paddle in the
way I wanted to wouldn't be possible directly, so we came up with the
pointer to fix the problem.

I'm sure I'm leaving out tons, cause I'm tired, but that should be enough
to give you a feel.

The GFX (some are player gfx, some are missle gfx, following the rules.
All were planned to have some gradient to them, each player needing to be
a different color,) Some objects are composed of a player and a missle.

These graphics were built off of the assumption that the coder I was
working with claimed he had a display kernal that could achieve 2 players
AND 2 missles per scan line simultaneously.

Plyrs.

Tank turret facing up, tread pos. # 1

.111111.
11.1.1.1
1.1.1.11
1111111.
1.111...
1..11...
...11...
...11...

tread pos. # 2

.111111.
1.1.1.11
11.1.1.1
1111111.
1.111...
1..11...
...11...
...11...

turret pos. # 2

.111111.
11.1.1.1
1.1.1.11
1111111.
1.111...
1..11...
....11..
....11..

turret pos. # 3

.111111.
1.1.1.11
11.1.1.1
1111111.
1.111...
1...11..
.....11.
......11

turret pos. # 4

.111111.
11.1.1.1
1.1.1.11
1111111.
1.111...
1...111.
.....111

Copter, blade pos. #1

..111111
...1..1.
11111111
.11.1..1
....1...
.111.111

Pos. # 2

..111111
...1..1.
11111111
.11.1..1
....1...
..11111.

Pos. # 3

..111111
...1..1.
11111111
.11.1..1
....1...
.11.11..

Pos. # 4

..111111
...1..1.
11111111
.11.1..1
....1...
.11..11.

The missle tank, w/ it's 4 turret positions

..1111..
11111111
11111111
.1111...
..1111..
....11..
....11..
....11..

pos. 2

..1111..
11111111
11111111
.1111...
..1111..
....11..
.....11.
.....11.

pos. 3

..1111..
11111111
11111111
.1111...
..1111..
....11..
.....11.
......11

pos. 4

..1111..
11111111
11111111
.1111...
..1111..
....1111
......11

The missle copter, and it's 4 rotor positions

...1111.
....11..
11111111
..1111..
....1...
11111111

pos 2

...1111.
....11..
11111111
..1111..
....1...
..1111..

pos 3

...1111.
....11..
11111111
..1111..
....1...
1111....

pos 4

...1111.
....11..
11111111
..1111..
....1...
....1111

The back (plyr) and front (missle,) half of the tank

.....111 .1111...
...1.... .....1..
..1.1.11 ..11....
11.1.... .....1..
111.11.1 1111....
1.11.... ....11..
1..11111 1111....
1...1111 11......
1....... ..11....
1....... ...11...
........ ....11..
........ ....1111
........ .....1..

....1111 1111....
...1.... .....1..
..1.111. .11.....
11.1.... .....1..
111.111. ...11...
1.11.... ....11..
1..11111 1111....
1...1111 11......
1....... ..11....
1....... ...11...
........ ....11..
........ ....1111
........ .....1..

....111. 1111....
...1.... .....1..
..1..111 ..1111..
11.1.1.1 .....1..
111.11.. 1111....
1.11.... ....11..
1..11111 1111....
1...1111 11......
1....... ..11....
1....... ...11...
........ ....11..
........ ....1111
........ .....1..

....1.11 ...11...
...1.... .....1..
..1.1.1. .11.....
11.1..11 .....1..
111..11. ..11....
1.11.... ....11..
1..11111 1111....
1...1111 11......
1....... ..11....
1....... ...11...
........ ....11..
........ ....1111
........ .....1..

1111....
11......
..11....
...11...
....11..
.....11.

1111....
11......
..11....
...11...
.....11.
......11

1111....
11......
..11....
...1111.
......11

1111....
11......
..1111..
....1111

/\ These are the different turret positions for the 16 pixel wide tank (these
   are all missle,)

The front (plyr) & back half (missle half,) for the 4 frames of anim

........ ....11..
........ ...11...
........ ..1111..
........ .1111...
..11.... 1111....
.1..1111 11111111
1.11.111 1111....
.1..1111 11111111
..11.... 1111....
........ .1111...
........ ..1111..
........ ...11...
........ ....11..

Fr. No. 2

........ ........
........ .....11.
........ ..1111..
........ .1111...
..11.... 1111....
..11.111 11111111
11..1111 1111....
.1111111 11111111
..11.... 1111....
........ .1111...
........ ..1111..
........ ........
........ ........

Fr. No. 3

........ ........
........ ....11..
........ ..1111..
........ .1111...
..11.... .1111...
.11.1111 11111111
11.11111 1111....
.1111111 11111111
..11.... .1111...
........ ....11..
........ ........
........ ........
........ ........

fr. no. 4

........ ........
........ ......1.
........ ....11..
........ ..1111..
..11.... .1111...
.1..1111 1111....
11111111 11111111
.1111111 11111111
..11.... ..1111..
........ ....11..
........ .....1..
........ ........
........ ........

Helicopter, front (plyr) back half (missle half,) for the 4 frames

..111111 1111....
....11.. 11......
.1111111 11111111
1...1111 ......11