Re: [stella] At the request of...

Subject: Re: [stella] At the request of...
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:56:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Mark De Smet wrote:

> At the request of John Harvey, I will mention who I am.

> Has anyone worked with parallel ports before?  I swear I'm reading it
> correctly, but have a small(1%) loss of data.(ah, a robust program can
> have 40 instructions missing and still work.  :-)

Yah.  2 suggestions...

1) make your cable shorter (plug the board into the port if possible)
2) slow your transfer rate

The parallel port typically uses a standard bus driver to send data.
If the RC constant of your cable + the cartidge's inputs is too high,
the port won't be able to drive it in a speedy manner.  Try to reduce
these and it'll help.  (capacitance dominates, BTW)

What type of parallel port are you using?  (std, epp, ecp(?), etc)
This will determine the types of things you can do.  If your port is
bi-directional, you should verify the data via readback.  It slows your
data throughput, but it increases accuracy.

-Chris