Re: [stella] At the request of...

Subject: Re: [stella] At the request of...
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:40:35 GMT
>Currently(b/c I am lacking a supercharger, and because I think it is fun
>to build) I am working on a RAM based cartrige which can be programmed by

DRAM or something, where it'd need a continuous power source (not that it'd
be a problem, just a little funny - a cartridge plugged into a wall wart),
or flash RAM?

>Has anybody worked on something like this before?  I read somewhere of a
>similar system that could do both cart reads, as well as writes to the ram
>cart, but I am looking to make the entire thing fit inside 1 cart, with no
>base unit.  Besides, it is more fun to design it myself, and that's why
>we're all in it anyway!(the fun part that is)

Yep.  I've designed bunches of theoretical hardware gadgets, on and off
this list. (my favorite one was an ISA board that would plug into the cart
port as well, and supply the 2600 cpu with ROM in real-time from PC
memory... advantage is that you can do any bankswitching you want with zero
hardware.)  Haven't actually built any, though :)

>Has anyone worked with parallel ports before?  I swear I'm reading it
>correctly, but have a small(1%) loss of data.(ah, a robust program can
>have 40 instructions missing and still work.  :-)

Heh.  Parallel ports are pretty sensitive to cable length, so shorten that
if at all possible.

Alternatively, you could have an ISA interface instead of parallel... a
decent amount easier to write the software for, though probably more
expensive to build and difficult to install.