Re: [stella] Trying to get back in the groove

Subject: Re: [stella] Trying to get back in the groove
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:52:08 -0500
At 08:19 AM 10/22/98 +0200, you wrote:
Hi,
	Your disassembler sounds interesting.  I am at work right now, but will
check it out tonight!  The main thing lacking in my disassembler is the
ability to disassemble bank-switched games.  It's not that big of a deal,
since somebody that knows what they are doing can generally do it manually.
 The code I use to distinguish between code and data is fairly simple and
I'd be happy to explain it.
	I would be very interested in working together to create a better
disassembler, what language is yours written in?

				Take Care,
					Bob
>Hi Bob,
>
>About DiStella, I would like you to look at my disassembler which is not
for VCS but for Atari 800XL, Atari 5200 and Oric (all 6502 processors).
>You can downloaded with the doc at
>
>  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ebacher
>
>It runs under Windows 3.1 and 95.
>
>It is an INTERACTIVE and ITERATIVE disassembler. It means that it
disassemble a file into a window and it shows the dump in another one. Then
if you see that some byte should be disassembled as .WORD you can tell the
disassembler. It then disassemble again using .WORD directive for the bytes
you selected.
>You can make a file with system equates for the VCS and, when
disassembling, you can define user equates.
>You can customize the syntax that the disassembler will generate. So it is
compatible with many assembler.
>It supports undocumented op-codes if you allow it.
>You can watch the dump as sprites and browse the file in a graphic window
to look for sprites.

>In fact, it lacks only the code to detect automaticaly if bytes are code
or data.

>Because it is INTERACTIVE process, there is no 'batch' disassembly.
>
>Please, take a look at it and tell me if you are interested in it. Maybe
we can do something together to enhance (and to customize it for VCS
disassembly).