Re: [stella] Beat em up 08

Subject: Re: [stella] Beat em up 08
From: Chris Cracknell <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:48:10 -0500 (EST)
In article <364c4114.28290488@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:

>Obviously, you can't use the hardware collision registers, but it doesn't
>seem all that difficult.. At it's simplest, it'd just be a check to see if
>the "hot-spot" for the punching player's fist is within a rectangular area
>that the other player is in.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Well there are only three areas that appear to be hit by the player's
fist so maybe you could put a missile graphic in the player's fist and
a ball graphic in the three areas of the opponent's body that would score
a hit. A missle/ball collision would count as a hit.

The missle graphic would be the same colour as the player so it wouldn't
show up, and if the priority of the ball was under the player and the
PF and BG were set to the same colour it wouldn't show up either.
You could even use the missle for the feet when kicking is eventually
added.

I guess if different magic attacks are going to be included you'll have to
use PF graphics for them on lines where you don't have the ball graphics.

And when the player does a block you can just turn off the ball graphic in
the zone the player is protecting.

I realized why it wasn't working on my Supercharger. I had the Colbert Mod
engaged in Non-SC mode so it wasn't accessing the extra ram.

I tell you this program shows increadable potential The graphics are amazing
and the flicker is not that bad on a real 2600. I think this game will be a
big hit when it's finished. I'm really impressed with this program, especially
now that I've seen it with the proper player graphics.

                                CRACKERS
                           (Wow from hell!!!!)

--

Collector of Atari 2600 carts - Accordionist - Bira Bira Devotee - Anime fan
*       http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html         | Crackers' Arts Base *