Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist

Subject: Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:54:08 -0800
At 07:37 AM 2/11/99 -0500, Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux wrote:
>VERY fast. I think that speed is really important. Because programmers
>nowadays don't care about speed, a stupid featureless text editing program

Today's object oriented development relies heavily on premade components.
If these components are slow, the software you write as a whole is slow.
Have you looked at any MFC book on the store shelves?  Over 1000 pages of
OS routines, plus your COM components, DLLs, OCXs, etc...  A programmer
these days isn't so much a programmer as he is merely gluing existing code
fragments together, all the way from simple dialog boxes to advanced
graphics routines.

This results in much faster code development, but you are bound by the
performance of these existing routines.

Given the added complexity of today's applications, it's hard to expect
people to roll many of their own routines for the sake of an apparent
performance increase on slower computers.  It's just too expensive.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page         http://users.cnmnetwork.com/~krishna    ==