Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist

Subject: Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist
From: Lord Spambraticus of Borg <lord-of-hell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:26:14 +1000
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:58:47 -0500 schwerin@xxxxxxxx (Schwerin) wrote:

>I actually use a 68040 and I'm very glad to hear of this port...I'll look
>for it.  Is there a 68K emulator?  I get the impression no from the
>horsepower needed.  Guess I will run that on the PC.

The port of which I spoke was DASM.  If the secret cabal that holds the source
code captive for the Macintosh Stella would release it, the Macintosh Stella
could start to begin to have parity with the DOS versions which are now at
1.1... and maybe even have a 68k version of Stella [if one doesn't exist now].
I'm sure this cabal claims performance on 68k isn't high enough, but they're C++
programmers.  I'd not mind making a 68k port that would run 60FPS on 33Mhz
hardware.  And make it not use crappy checksumming 'nyms, as well as provide for
manual overrides in case those breakdown too.

You can get my DASM port on Ruffin Bailey's Mactari pages.

I used to code Virtual Machines when I was a kid...  the VCS sounds a pretty
simple machine, aside from the weirdnesses of the graphics hardware.

>(Well informed in such matters, I am forced to call anyone who further
>lectures me on Attention to Detail and the Decaying Programmer Ethic a
>"Prattling Preening Predaceous Privy Pretentious Preppy Prissy Presumptive
>Perfectionist Programmer with a Prickled Pear up his Proboscis".  You have
>been warned).

Heheh.  I always thought one of the defining personality traits of a programmer
was Perfectionism. :)

=Rob=

(really more tongue in cheek than I seem, honest)