[stella] Mac/SC loading

Subject: [stella] Mac/SC loading
From: Schwerin <schwerin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:45:51 -0500
>Hrm, I can make this "proper" for you, if you like... I may have even
>downloaded
>this beastie at one point -- where did you get the source?

from here:
http://www.novia.net/~rcolbert/makewav.htm

>I can fix that too, and maybe if you twist my arm, make a Commando interface
>[aka Macintosh friendly dialog-box thingie for all the options] too.  Ask
>Ruffie
>Bailey about what I did for DASM.

I saw your commando interface and I really admire it <brown nose>.  No
seriously, it's cool.  It's certainly not necessary to get me (and others)
off the ground doing the mac supercharger thang, but having quality tools
is all the better.

>I'll look at the original first, but why not e-mail me your source as well.
>I'll make a FAT tool out of it.

I haven't added anything I talked about; all it does is compile & quit, but
I will send it to you anyway.  Anyone else interested - just email me.
BTW, very *sparse* commenting on this one.

>This too would not present any problems.... Again, lemme know what you want,
>chances are I can whip it out in a couple of hours.

unsigned char[] wave;
long wave_size;
float playback_rate;
play_mono_8bit(wave, wave_size, playback_rate)

If you could write play_mono_8bit(), that would be great.  This will
involve creating a temporary SND resource in memory.  Whether or not the
SND is saved is a nice perk but not needed.

I, or some other brave soul, could embark on the

wave = make_wave(unsigned char[] binary_file, playback_rate)

aspect.

>I'll take a look at the spec, and see what's to do.  I assumed the wavplay
>thing
>just outputs the bitstream like a regular wav audio file.  This isn't the
>case?
>
>=Rob=

So we can bypass generating a .wav file, and just generate a similar sound
sample in memory and play it.

BTW, I'd like to contribute an idea to the interface.  If you type "new",
the program scans the local folder for the newest .bin file and processes
that, with some sort of standard, or preferrenced flags.  Convenient for an
ongoing development cycle.

-Andrew Schwerin
Conveniently Falling Asleep