Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion

Subject: Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion
From: gentlben@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:34:47 -0700
> You count the time that it takes for the paddle bit to go from low
> to high. When you write a 1 into bit 7 of VBLANK the pots will be
> discharged and the paddle read bits will go low. When you write 0
> into bit 7 of VBLANK the pots will start to recharge. The further
> you have turned a paddle's knob the longer it will take to recharge
> the paddle's pot and the longer it will take the paddle's read bit
> to go high again.

hmmmm...so if i write a 1 into bit 7 of the VBLANK register, its like resetting
the paddle bits
to 0 so that they can be read again by setting VBLANK to zero (thereby starting
the recharge)?

> Usually you do the discharge/start the recharge stuff during the
> VSYNC time. Then you have to set a counter in RAM  to zero. During
> the displayed part of the screen you read the paddle bit in every
> scanline and if it still is low, you increase the counter by one.
> At the start of the overscan the counter then holds a value, that
> you can use to position your player or whatever.

sounds confusing, but im starting to make some sense of it now...(except for one
thing,
i'm not sure which way provides the most or least resistance, clockwise or
counter-clockwise)
it sounds to me like you're saying that if it takes a certain amount of time for
the paddle bit to
be set due to the potentiometers, i could keep track of how long it takes by using
a counter and
if it gets larger or smaller i could place the player/block/whatever
accordingly...am i right?

sorry if i sound repetitive, but im one of those curious types that just HAS to
know every little
nuance hehehe

dee