Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion

Subject: Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:12:50 +0200
At 10:34 26.05.99 -0700, you wrote:
>hmmmm...so if i write a 1 into bit 7 of the VBLANK register, its like
resetting
>the paddle bits
>to 0 so that they can be read again by setting VBLANK to zero (thereby
starting
>the recharge)?

Seems to be correct. (At least from a programmers view. ;-) )

>sounds confusing, but im starting to make some sense of it now...(except
for one
>thing,
>i'm not sure which way provides the most or least resistance, clockwise or
>counter-clockwise)

I'm not sure, but I think having the paddles turned all the way clockwise
takes the longest to recharge.

>it sounds to me like you're saying that if it takes a certain amount of
time for
>the paddle bit to
>be set due to the potentiometers, i could keep track of how long it takes
by using
>a counter and
>if it gets larger or smaller i could place the player/block/whatever
>accordingly...am i right?

You could do that, but usually the counter value will be treated as
an absolute position for the player. Like when the counter is 48, put
the sprite at pixel 48 for this frame, if it is 123, put the sprite
at pixel 123 etc.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg