Re: [stella] Video Chess player usage

Subject: Re: [stella] Video Chess player usage
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 18:41:11 GMT
>>I took it into the PC Atari debugger and just interrupted it in the middle
>>of the screen kernel.  Both NUSIZ values are 2, which is two copies far
>>spacing; and the sprite positions are 44 and 60, 16 pixels apart.  So the
>>sprites are P0 P1 P0 P1.  Also, if it matters, it moves the sprites back
>>and forth with HMOVEs instead of RESPxs.
>
>Is that debugging service provided with PCAE?

Sure, it's built in.  Hit F10 for the menu, then D to enable the debugger.

>I've been trying to track down
>PCAE's author, or its source code...

The docs give the author as John Dullea (jxd230@xxxxxxx) , but that
address has been reported to not work.  I _think_ I remember hearing that
source code to an earlier version was released, and also that the source
for the current version was lost in an accident, but I could be wrong or
confised on either of those.

>I've given up entirely on Stella's
>sources, as its keepers have the Club mentality honed to a polished artform.
>I'm astonished so much energy goes into "reinventing the wheel" with VCS2600
>emulators...  how many emulators are out there now, 4?  5?  I can see no purpose
>for it, unless each of these authors have the fantasy they can become wealthy
>selling emulators for a system that went extinct 15 years ago.

It's cause the 2600 looks pretty easy to emulate (standard 6502 minus
interrupts, simple RIOT and TIA chips), so everybody thinks they can write
an emulator that won't have all the weird quirks that other emulators
always have, but that of course never pans out.  That, and everyone is
convinced that their emulator will have the One True Feature, that Every
Other Emulator doesn't have: portability, or a great debugger, or perfect
Supercharger compatibility, or speed to run on a 486, or what have you.