RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: Dan Knapp <dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:05:39 -0400 (EDT)
> Speaking of sacrelige - never say something can't be done on the 2600 in
> this list! A 256*256 grid fully populated would need 65536 cells to be
> encoded true, but mapping that much area is going to be very
> time-consuming, and not worth the effort. Instead, all you would have to
> do is create a sparse-array of "populated" cells, and have a handful of
> "generic" "empty" cells which could be used for cells not in the
> sparse-array. You could use a simple function to map broad details
> (desert, water, forest, mountain, snow) and have maybe two or three
> generic examples of each type. When a cell is referenced that is not in
> the list, pick a random cell of the relevant type and use that one.

  Makes sense.  Also, you could if desired calculate the "random" number in
such a way that a given set of coordinates will always yield a given one of
the generic cells.  ALSO, you could have simple transformations, also applied
randomly or pseudorandomly, to do things like add trees and such.
  I retract my statement; I wasn't looking at the rules properly.

|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  | dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                           |
|---------------|  Blip  | http://www.bergen.org/~dankna/                  |
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  | C PS SQL Java Unix Mac RPN/L NES SMB1 BM        |