Re: [stella] DASM 101

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM 101
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:56:04 +0200
At 05:25 21.08.99 -0700, you wrote:

>You mean I have to name a file even if one doesn't exist?  Whatever I
>type in, that will be the name of the file that I wind up creating when
>DASM boots up?  Or if the file does exist, it starts up and loads that
>one right into the system and I work on it?

No, DASM is only an assmbler not an editor. It only takes a text file
that contains the source code and creates a binary file, if the source
code makes sense. You have to create the souce code file beforehand
with a normal text editor of your choice.

>Does this also mean I need the directory header (is that what they are
>called?)?  It's on my C drive under a file marked "Peter G's Atari 2600
>Crap".  If my memory is correct, actual DOS only allows filenames up to
>eight characters long.  Do I have to, from the C prompt, type whatever
>the actual eight character name is, then a / and the dasm....stuff?

As I've said in the other post, I'd suggest to put DASM, PCAE and
your source code files all in one directory, if you have no experiance
with DOS command line tools.

Anyway, in DOS you always have to specify the full path name if
something isn't in the same directory. For example if you have
DASM in C:\DASM and your source code is a file called GAME01.ASM
in C:\VCS-DEV\SOURCES and you want the binary to end up in C:\PCAE,
then you would have to type
C:\DASM\DASM C:\VCS-DEV\SOURCES\GAME01.ASM -f3 -v3 -oC:\PCAE\GAME01.BIN

Filename conventions are a bit different under the MS-DOS mode
in a WIN95 window, but to be sure that everything works nicely,
you should limit yourself to 8+3 character filenames when using
old DOS tools that might not be able to recognize long filenames.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg