Re: [stella] Miniaturization

Subject: Re: [stella] Miniaturization
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:42:25 +0200
At 22:10 16.04.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>needing). (I'm talking about implementing the 6507, TIA, PIA etc. in the
>FPGA)

The TV-boy type systems basically consist of a single chip VCS and
a large ROM for the games. If you ever find out who makes this chip
and how to order from them, you could save the design work for the FPGA.

>Probably the most cost effective way to get a color screen and housing is
>to a buy color game boy, and implement it in there.  ~$60   Other options
>could be found, but I doubt for much cheaper.

AFAIK Game Boys only have a resolution of 160 x 144, which isn't enough
for the VCS. The Nomad is supposed to have a resolution of 160 x 200
and I think Kevin Horton posted some information about modifying it
on the Gametech list about two years ago. The Nomad seems to be easy to
modify, since the Genesis part is on an extra board, connected only
by a 30 pin connector to the I/O parts of the Nomad. The biggest
problem with turning the Nomad into a portable VCS seems to be that
the Nomad's screen requires RGB input, while the TIA only generates
composite output.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg