Re: [stella] NES Special Chip

Subject: Re: [stella] NES Special Chip
From: Kevin Horton <khorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:36:10 -0400 (EDT)
At 14:53 4/19/00 -0400, you wrote:

>	As for the special chip, you may be thinking of the never-released
>Hellraiser (based on the movie, if you can dig that).  Some of the rumors
>about it are collected on <http://nesworld.vintagegaming.com/colordre.htm>
>and <http://nesworld.vintagegaming.com/hellrais.htm>

Well, I studied the "Hellraiser" board fairly closely.  There was a high-res
pic of it on the literature I had from an old early 90's E3 :-)

I hate to say it, but it appears to have been all hot air.  The cart would never
work.  It sure had a Z80 on there and some RAM and 3 EPROMs, but that was it!
There was no "glue" or other form of controlling logic to speak of.  So, I
hate to say that it was nothing more than a pipe-dream.  (Not to mention,
why would you have a CHR ROM if all the graphics were "bitmapped" ;-)

>bitmapped out the screen to memory first (the processor on the game could
>draw with more colors, and handle more sprites at one time than the NES)."
>Sort of a Nintendo XL system.  :)

This is false since the PPU controls all graphics accesses.  The PPU itself
contains internally all palettes and sprite attributes.   So, adding more
would require replacement of the PPU.