Re: [stella] The Dig!

Subject: Re: [stella] The Dig!
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 13:47:54 -0700
At 02:38 PM 5/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
That struck me as well as I read through the thread...  It would depend
quite a bit on people accurately labelling what they're posting though,

When they come to us they are intact, but doesn't Biglist rename binary attachments? The name of the link remains intact, but the filename is actually changed. I think this is done to avoid duplicates on the server side since everything is stored in physical directories, not as uuencodes. I'm not sure we're in much control over that situation unless we chose to pluck the files out, rename them, and store them independently of the biglist archive (which has already been done to some degree, I believe).

to make searching better. If I want to look at all Stolberg's samples,

Any file would have an author assigned to it, for instance. A project name "ala Oystron" and a date-stamp. This would be independent of the filename.

Again, an organizational structure might come in handy.  In the long run
though, it would probably have to be a moderated process.  And in general,
I think more tutorials and/or a FAQ would be the best, but these involve
reorganizing posts' content into well-thought-out documents, and who has
the time to do that.  Bugger...

The first step towards a tutorial (actually a book) would be to categorize the messages in such a way that you can query the documents out and order them in an appropriate way. When if you extract out all the text, you've got the beginnings of a book.

You'd tag messages with as many categories that apply.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc
--
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/