Re: [stella] RAM usage

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM usage
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:25:46 -0700
At 07:32 PM 6/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Video Chess only needs 32 bytes for the board.  Since there are fewer than
16 chess pieces (KQBNRPx2), you can encode each square in a single nibble.
I don't know if that is how its implemented, but it makes sense.

In the interview, Larry Wagner said he needed 64 for the pieces, so I'm assuming he used them all and wasted the bits. In the 2600 sometimes the overhead of RAM optimization takes too long to be practical, or wastes more memory in the process (RAM or ROM).

One of the cool things about Video Chess is that you can set up unrealistic boards, for instance, 16 rooks vs. 16 knights.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/