Re: [stella] interlace

Subject: Re: [stella] interlace
From: "Matthew W. Miller" <mattm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Chris Wilkson wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>> Certainly every VCS's RF out breaks broadcast standards.  It will get
>> to the TV okay, but try recording the VCS signal to tape and then
>> freezeframe it.  I couldn't get that to work right on my $1000
>> Mitsubishi SVHS VCR.
>My 10 year old, $200 Quasar (4-head, though) iddn't seem to have any
>problems with this.
>Maybe older equipment was more tolerant?

The seemingly counter-intuitive thing about using video-cassette recorders
with console systems (not just the VCS, or even Atari systems in general)
is that you may have an easier time using a cheap low-end recorder rather
than a high-end or commercial one!  The reason for this is that high-end
recorders tend to both send, and expect, highly precise 60-Hz pulses of
the signal, whereas low-end recorders tend to slack off on both ends.  So
you might very well have less trouble recording with an off-brand (sorry
Chris) than a name-brand like Mitsubishi.  I believe this was discussed by
the Stella at 20 guys a while back -- check the archives.

<http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/>

--
Matthew W. Miller -- mattm@xxxxxxxxxxx