Re: [stella] interlace

Subject: Re: [stella] interlace
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Matthew W. Miller wrote:

> The seemingly counter-intuitive thing about using video-cassette recorders
> with console systems (not just the VCS, or even Atari systems in general)
> is that you may have an easier time using a cheap low-end recorder rather
> than a high-end or commercial one!  The reason for this is that high-end
> recorders tend to both send, and expect, highly precise 60-Hz pulses of
> the signal, whereas low-end recorders tend to slack off on both ends.  So
> you might very well have less trouble recording with an off-brand (sorry
> Chris) than a name-brand like Mitsubishi.  I believe this was discussed by
> the Stella at 20 guys a while back -- check the archives.

Also, 3 scanlines of VSYNC is *not* enough.  To be standard, at any rate.  :P
If you add a few more sync pulses, it's better.  I forget what the "official"
correct number is, (Glenn?) but it's higher.  3 is about the absolute minimum
that most TVs will sync to.  Newer, fancier equipment does expect to get
a correct signal.  Not an unreasonable expectation, but sometimes not good.

Anyone remember why can't you do calculations during VSYNC?  I remember the
discussion (a couple years back), but I don't remember the details.

-Chris