RE: [stella] Stella @ 20

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella @ 20
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:19:45 -0500 (CDT)
> >soon?  I got to thinking about this after I ordered Volume I, I have heard
> >that the average life of a VHS tape is about 7 years.  I am hardcore enough
> >about this that I will want to view these tapes far into the future.

> tape format.  It's amazing how well the tapes have held up even though they
> are 3 years old.  There aren't too many dropouts in there, although the few
> I do see drive me insane.

Glenn, you are in the video industry, maybe you can clarify this.  I have
always heard that vhs format had a short life on the order of these 7
years, but I have seen so much evidence to the contrary.  I recently
picked up a bunch of video tapes that were thrown out.  The are videos of
classes from 1988.  The thing has better image quality than I have ever
seen out of any tape I have played in my vcr.  The tapes I got were
originals, the actual recording media(or perhaps second generation if they
did any editing, but haveing watched them tape classes more recently, I
don't think they do editing on these), and are the archive copy, not the
copy left in the library, so they hare been used very little.  So as far
as I can tell, this is a 12 year old tape, with zero degredation.(granted
a very good recording on very good tape)

So, why have I not seen any degredation as I am often told about?

Mark