Re: [stella] Star Fire Homepage

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire Homepage
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:49:00 +0100
> Seems that I can forget about a 48 pixel mothership then.
> The mothership (it's not animated btw), will constantly travel onscreen
> from the left to the right, during normal gameplay. This means I need to
> be able to display the Starfield and (if firing) the laser on the same
> horizontal lines any given time. So I'll have to try it with a 32 Pixel
> sprite, or won't that make that big a difference?

You would get more free cycles, but the general problems would
still be there. For a 32 pixel output, you have to set the
players to two copies close spacing, and the missiles would
be set like that as well. Therefore it would be difficult
to use them for anything. Also the timing would be similar, as
you still have to change the player graphics during the display.
Therefore all other things that you do during those scanlines
will happen at a fixed number of cycles away from the graphics
update. So if you change a colour right after the ship has been
drawn, this change will happen after the ship has been drawn, no
matter where on the screen the ship is. So if you wanted the
colour change to happen for an object that is drawn on the left
side of the screen, but the ship is drawn on the right side of the
screen, the colour change will not happen in time.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg