Re: [stella] disassemblies and other stuff

Subject: Re: [stella] disassemblies and other stuff
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:25:50 -0500
At 05:06 PM 1/8/01 -0500, Erik Mooney wrote:
>I find that disassemblies really don't help all that much for programming.
>It can be neat to see how a game does a certain effect, but I haven't yet
>seen a case where I couldn't figure that out by deduction and Stella's
>ability to turn off specified graphical elements.

Disassembly is a big help to someone who's rusty or new at 65xx
programming, though, and I don't really think there's any way to comprehend
the process of screen drawing without seeing some production code.  Better
to use one of the commented ones or some of the contributed code (Nick's or
elsewhere) but even if it's just to step through the code with PCAE, you've
gotta do it a few times to get the hang of it.

>The other way to do it, and you'll need to do this if you want more
>complexity in the kernel (I had to do tons of this kind of thing in the
>INV kernel), is to unroll the inner loop.

Yeah, I started having to do that in my Ballblazer clone before I lost
track of it.

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob