[stella] Lode Runner, number of levels

Subject: [stella] Lode Runner, number of levels
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:07:31 -0800
As for the number of levels, the XEGS Lode Runner cart (which I highly recommend by the way) has 99 levels built in. It being all on the cartridge, it's really convenient, vs. the disk version. There is something to be said of the benefits of banked ROM vs. load times, whether it be disk or supercharger ;)

Another cool thing about the Lode Runner cart is that it lets you read/write your custom levels to disk without even having to first boot up the machine in AtariDOS. Pretty slick.

There were other carts that Atari converted over from diskbased games. Flight Simulator II was one, and Ace of Aces. They were using higher capacity banked ROMs for these, I'm sure. I have Ace of Aces on disk and that game goes to the floppy every time you shift perspectives. I'm sure it plays a lot better on cartridge. Atari must have done a fair bit of recoding to make the games work that way.

Just thought it might be relevant to the discussion of how to store levels...

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/