Re: [stella] Where To Begin

Subject: Re: [stella] Where To Begin
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:32:20 +0100
Tempest wrote:

> Ok, If you've read my previous post you'll see that I am attempting to port
> Dino Eggs to the 2600.  I've got some basic 6502 assembly knowledge, I've
> read all the starting docs (how to draw a playfield, scanline counting,
> etc.), but I still don't know where to start.  Should I start with the
> background, the actual levels (platforms, ladders, etc.), or with my player
> graphics?

I'd start with the actual levels. Then you see how and where everything
fits in & how big you can make the sprites, and such.
Get yourself AppleWin or CCS64, get the disk images, make screenshots of
the game, try to build the 'structure' of the level with the playfield.
(Check the Links page on my Epyx Shrine http://home.nexgo.de/cybergoth ,
to find everything you need.)

Take a look at 'Adventures Of Tron'. Imagine the sprites floating around
above the player as possible dino eggs. Try reverse-engineering /
analyzing it's kernel it's 80% of what you need!
Take a look at 'Donkey Kong', 'Miner 2049'er', 'Mr. Do!' 'Fast Eddie'
and other VCS plattformers, to get the *feeling* for what's possible.

Ruffin once sent in a demo with a PF structure demo for a Jump'n'Run,
maybe he'll share the source?
Piero once sent in a player/missile demo for a Jump'n'Run, maybe he'll
share the source?

:-)

David Schweinsbergs 'Droid' Jump'n'Run was already pretty advanced, when
he decided to cancel the project. Find his promising attempts &
source(!) here:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/199901/msg00083.html
The source is good documented, maybe just play around with that for a
start?

Another place to get ideas for your kernel would be looking at the
'Freeway' source. From all published reverse-engineerings it's closest
to a platform kernel. Find it here:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/199704/msg00157.html

Uhm... of course I did all these researches to get Jumpman going, too
:-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-