Re: [stella] Qb: v0.10

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: v0.10
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:31:33 +0059
At 21.02.2001, 15:41, Andrew Davie wrote:
> Sometimes you just have to go backwards to go any further forwards.

I remember doing that more than once... ;-)

> I'VE SAVED ***** 500 *****  BYTES OF ROM!

Congratulations! That's the "Art of Coding" for the
2600 :)

>         ;--------------------------
>         ; SPRITE DRAW

>         tya                     ; 2
>         sec                     ; 2
>         sbc SpriteEnd           ; 3
>         adc #SPRITE_HEIGHT      ; 2
>         bcs .Draw               ; 2(3)

>         nop                     ; 2
>         nop                     ; 2
>         sec                     ; 2
>         bcs .skipDraw           ; 3

> .Draw
>         lda (Sprite),y          ; 5
>         sta PLAYER0SHAPE        ; 3

> .skipDraw

>         ;-->18 cycles used
>         ;--------------------------

If you move the part, where you're not drawing, outside
the main kernel, you could save another cycle here.
(also see Manuel's kernel)

> Thanks once again to Thomas for the suggestion which left me practically
> without sleep for two days.

Well, I remember nearly sleepless nights, too!

> But still, it was a good one.  The new kernal
> is very neat-and-tidy.  Unfortunately, the new kernal simply isn't capable
> of the nifty colour changes (for the player) which I had just installed in
> the old one.  C'est la vie.  I don't miss it so much - and the ROM saving
> makes me smile everytime I think of it.

There a still some free cycles, so there is a chance to
get this feature (which I liked very much!) back.

And you could save a LOT of cycles, if you'd stop using
subroutine calls for your kernel.

> Regarding Thomas's suggestion about the scoring (or bug), I don't agree - if
> you only got a point every time you moved a cube to the correct place, and
> lost it when you moved it away... that would set the actual score for each
> screen (for cubes) to the number of cubes * points/cube.  I want to
> encourage the player to 'cheat' by trying to build up scores by putting
> cubes on/off the correct places.  Besides, the bonus is counting down like a
> whirlwind anyway... there's little point lazying around.

I still disagree, but it's your game and your choice :)
What do other people of the list think about it?

> I've copied this email to Thomas directly...

Thanks, now i got two copies of your mail :) Part of
the problem seems to have been only temporary.

> Thomas did you get my suggestion for your cursor?

Yes, thank you, i did.
Unfortunately I can't use it, if I want to keep my
kernel small and single lined.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |