[stella] Weekend update + timing issue

Subject: [stella] Weekend update + timing issue
From: Joe Grand <jgrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:18:41 -0500
Even though the weekend just started, I spent all of Friday night and
Saturday morning getting things ready for some good coding time. Watching
QB being developed in front of my eyes is killing me (which is a great
game, by the way, even though I've only gotten to level 2 :)

1) Set up new environment in Textpad (Thanks to Glenn for the syntax file).
Very nice - it makes the source very easy to read, and I like the workspace
configuration allowing multiple files, etc. No more Notepad and DOS Prompt
for me! I configured a "Tool" called "Compile DASM" so I can hit Ctrl+1
from the source screen and it will compile (as well as give me the verbose
output). Just like a real IDE! :)

2) For the current lack of a better name (Thanks, Ron :) I will use
"SCSISIDE" as a working name.. It was short enough to make a decent logo
for in Photoshop, which I did. Serves as a good placeholder, if nothing else.

3) I've integrated the original 6-digit score display from Robin Harbron
(not the double-height that Andrew just posted) into my code. So far, so
good (but see below)

4) Drew and added A-F characters into my score table. I figure this is
fitting for a game that has a computer-theme. I re-did the score display
routines, since I'm only using 3-bytes to hold the score (e.g., FF FF FF as
a maximum score). This will give a max score of 16,777,215. That should be
plenty, considering I plan to give 1 point per data block read.

Here's my problem: When E or F is in the least significant position (e.g.,
ABCDEE, 12345F, etc.) the screen starts to flicker - I'm assuming it's a
timing issue, but maybe someone can spot the problem? None of the other
digit positions have this problem. I've commented out most of the rest of
my code, since I wanted to make sure I can draw the score properly before
bringing everything else back in. Source code (zipped) and .BIN attached.
I'm using StellaX only and haven't tried it on anything else. Also, please
don't criticize the rest of my code, yet :)

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

Joe