Re: [stella] Qb: v1.01 TITLE SCREEN!

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: v1.01 TITLE SCREEN!
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:44:47 +1100
> However, are you sure you're doing the correct number of scanlines on the
> screens where the title picture "folds up" from the top? When I run it in
> Z26, it appears to fold the picture ABOVE the screen that was there
> previously, which, I think, is not what a real 2600 would do (or is that
> intentional?)

Nope, that was an oversight.  I thought I'd trimmed it to the correct
lines/screen, but I hadn't.  That's another 4 bytes gone *sigh*.  Thanks for
pointing that out.  It was a neat effect on the emlator, though :)

> Also, in most games, the demo mode ends when the player loses a life. Here
> it doesn't lose a life. Instead it's jumped on by an enemy and still jumps
> around vitally after that... ;-)

I fixed that a few hours ago - thanks.  The 'beta' I sent shows the
behaviour you suggest.

> A cool idea, maybe, for the player when losing a life would be to "go up
in
> heaven" by shifting up the player data like it's done with the score
points
> when it eats a fruit (while of course still shaking around). Would that
eat
> up much space?

Not a lot... 10 bytes or so.  However, check out the new version...  he
looks like he's shaking his head in disappointment... and its really cheap.
I also change the background colour - green for screen completion, orange
for loss of life, and red for end of game.  Simple, but it works for me,
anyway.  I really can't afford snazzy stuff anymore.  Unless I dump the
title screen, of course :)

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers
see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
                                                              @--> v

-