[stella] Dye-sublimation

Subject: [stella] Dye-sublimation
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:52:43 -0700
At 06:28 AM 5/18/2001 +0000, you wrote:
Hey,

If you're looking for better low cost homemade box try using a MD-1300 or MD-5000 printer from ALPS. They use a wax based ink system that is almost water proof and can do really nice work. I'm not sure if these are the current model numbers, but the technology can only have improved. They upper model can even print metallic inks. The line is based on technology created for the US government so that water resistant field maps could be made on the fly. Very cool stuff. Check them out.

From what I read, the cost per page is one or two dollars. That's pretty high. I don't think you can do a box with only 1 8x11 sheet. Also, color matching issues abound.

Read this:

http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/issues/1507/pcmg0103.htm

If I were going to do a very small number of carts it might make sense to use this kind of printer, but even for 100 carts it's probably going to be too expensive and slow.

-