Re: [stella] [Poll] What is everybody working on? (email rant!)

Subject: Re: [stella] [Poll] What is everybody working on? (email rant!)
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:06:49 +1000
> I've never gotten a reply from Ben Heckendorn (I think I misspelled
that)...
> I've emailed him with offer of help, with tips, with "I want one"
messages,
> but no response.  I want to believe that he's just extermely busy, but
> frankly, I was and still am quite offended.  (We're talking months of
> delay here.)  Kevin Horton has always answered my emails, though sometimes
> slowly.  He's very patient and helpful.

This struck a chord with me.  Consider how much mail this guy probably gets.
With all the stuff I do as a hobby, I get dozens of emails per day,
requiring answer.  When something new comes up, it climbs up into many
dozens per day.  With work, hobbies, family, its hobbies that take last
place.  And the sad fact is that sometimes I simply don't have enough time
in the day to answer all the emails promptly (even to say "will answer
soon!").  I currently have over 150 emails in my inbox REQUIRING a reply -
usually a considered and/or researched one.  So it's either a choice between
leaving stuff in your inbox for later reply (I still have messages from
early March waiting for action) or simply giving up and only replying to
absolutely essential things.  I can't afford a secretary.

It's not about being rude.  It is you who are taking someone's time by
emailing them.  To judge the person (especially someone doing something
bound to draw in hundreds and hundreds of emails per week) by their speed of
reply is simply not fair, and completely unrealistic.  It is often
impossible even to find the time to say "thank you" until many days after an
email has come in.

I do, however, *always* answer emails - however it has sometimes taken me up
to 6 months to do so (!)
There, that's off my back.  I hate email.

Cheers

see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
Qb: the latest retro video game!                          L,~'  "\__/
http://www.atari2600.org/qb.html                              @--> v

-