Re: [stella] Using a Mac

Subject: Re: [stella] Using a Mac
From: Jake Patterson <jpatters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:13:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> Quick update on that -- I haven't used AOL in years and haven't been
> able to get to that page/site to update it.  I think there are some
> minor updates on the "new" (relatively speaking) and future home for
> the pages:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/mactari

Thanks for the link update!

> If someone could get Nick to update that, that'd be great.  :^)  Thanks
> again to Eckhard whose site has the updated link.
>
> Embarrassingly enough, I've yet to update the tools so that they run
> natively on OS X.  Should be able to catch up with the rest of the
> command-line crew now and cut out the MPW download that's necessary for
> Mac Classic.
>
> While I'm talking about it, the MPW link on the above pages flakes
> every so often.

Yep, had trouble with that link.  Fortunately, I did the full install of
CodeWarrior a while back and it turns out I already have MPW.

> You might also want to download the "Commando" tool to access DAsm's
> GUI in MPW.

DAsm has a Gui?

> Glad to hear someone actually asked about compiling on a Mac; maybe
> that'll kick me into gear getting some updates on the site and maybe
> try my hand compiling the tools on OS X.  I didn't see the first post
> on the subject, but if anyone with a Mac bent wants to ask me a few
> questions on what they need to get started, feel free to send an email
> my way.  No, I've never finished a game, but I have hacked a demo or
> two on a PowerPC and managed to compile Qb 'n' friends to give them a
> whirl.  :^)
>
> Ruffin Bailey

My idea is to do something like Joust, but with enimies that "evolve"
based on a simplified "genome" that changes with random mutations.  I just
downloaded the Joust rom file for the 2600, and I had forgotten how ugly
awful that game was on the 2600.  Does anyone here think that a much
better rendition of that would be possible?  I'm thinking that it may be
best to drop the idea of copying the "look" of Joust, and just use a
couple of the key ideas, the most key being you have to collide with the
enimies in a certain way to defeat them.  It may end up being more like
Berzerk with a sword then Joust.  Just thinking out loud here :-)

--                                         ,
                                         ,@[
                                       ,@@@[

.....................................GCE Vectrex - Entertaining New Ideas

-